With my first pregnancy my focus was survival. My job was coming to an end, I had ZERO clue what I was in for, and the cheeseburger cravings were through the roof. We also moved about three weeks before my daughter was born so I was a legit, straight up crazy person.
My second pregnancy I felt like I knew a bit more of what was to come. I actively worked out, watched my cravings, and truly enjoyed every single minute past first trimester.
Now don’t get my wrong. My third pregnancy is something I am extremely grateful for. All three babies (so far) have been very healthy both in utero and out. That is something I will never take for granted.
But mama is tired.
Mama is freaked out there is a pandemic.
Mama misses wine.
Mama can’t believe the world (ok, ok, ok just Texas) froze for an entire week.
Mama did NOT use that week to work out. Like at all.
Mama is having some cravings like something FIERCE.
Mama misses tequila.
Mama is in charge of virtual learning EVERY day for a first grader.
Mama. Is. Tired.
I did create a plan though.
This time I would make sure to take care of my babies, my family, my home, but also myself. And y’all, IT’S BEEN GREAT.
My body definitely feels older this round of pregnancy than with my previous two but I have experienced the greatest comforts thanks to the following local businesses:
- Fort Worth Dental Arts: Dr. Spencer Hoyt at Fort Worth Dental Arts has kids himself and has watched his sweet wife Laura experience pregnancy. He knows there are a KAGILLION things to think about when you’re pregnant and that sometimes just surviving the day or trying to find the energy to complete a task takes precedence over a teeth cleaning. This is why his office offers expectant patients an extra teeth cleaning during pregnancy. When you’re expecting, gum health becomes extra important as well which is why he focuses on ensuring that he thinks ahead for his mamas-to-be.
- Pure Barre Fort Worth: This low impact but incredibly powerful workout has seen me through pregnancy, weight loss, and postpartum many different times. When talking about PB with friends I always describe that this is “my time” to have the music turned up and focus strictly on all the “mommy muscles”.
Pure Barre ensures that my back/arms are more than enough to hold and play with my kids. I kid you not, I can hold babies and toddlers far longer than my husband because of this workout.
Pure Barre flattens my stomach postpartum and during weight loss. After delivering my daughter I developed an umbilical hernia. My abs are permanently separated a bit and I can feel the mesh between the muscles. When I consistently do my PB workouts, my abs compensate for the mesh, the soreness goes away, and my abs have literally pulled back together.
Pure Barre takes my stress and extra energy away in a positive manner. I swear I sleep better after days I have completed this workout.
Pure Barre makes me strong. Truly strong. Before the birth of my son I even took my beloved OBGYN to a class with me and her reaction was, “every expectant mom needs to do this workout.” This may be TMI, but I swear Pure Barre made my abs so strong with my second pregnancy I literally sneezed my son out at the hospital.
And they’re flexible. You can take a class in-person (my recommendation) and they even have a virtual option for you to take classes at home. Click the link and you can see how you can get your first class free!
- R Family Chiropractic: Drs. Heather and Tanner Rodriguez are both specialized in the Webster technique of chiropractic care and they have made a world of difference for me in regards to comfort.
Long story short, my first pregnancy I never saw a chiropractor and was very, very uncomfortable. Hip pain, pelvic pain, insomnia, the works.
My second pregnancy I saw a quick, in-and-out kind of chiropractic practice and although it helped immensely, it still wasn’t the level of care that fully alleviated my pain.
This pregnancy I’ve finally learned. As soon as I knew I was expecting, I contacted Dr. Heather. After a few simple tests to see how my nervous system was functioning, I now see her weekly. She has already helped me with overall comfort, pelvic pain, migraines, breathing, lymphatic drainage, and even heartburn. She’s a true magician who has a focus on not only my health, but the health of our baby. I can feel a difference with her help and feel that I can much better tackle this pregnancy. Overall I can very confidently say that her support is going to make my third trimester, delivery, and postpartum recovery that much easier.
- Raysha Ingle, LMT: So dear Raysha is my hero. Anyone who will massage my achy, pregnant body is my hero and Raysha is excellent at what she does. Visiting Raysha consistently throughout my pregnancy came at the recommendation of Dr. Heather and R Family Chiropractic. The combination of these two women is designed to keep my body loose, flexible, healthy, and calm. For that, I’m forever grateful.
Raysha’s office is located off of Camp Bowie (behind the FedEx Print & Ship Center) and she offers different techniques including Swedish, Deep Tissue, Sports, Hot Stone, Aromatherapy, Prenatal, and Reflexology Massage. What I love most is that her services are to the point. Unlike a spa where you have a process to change, relaxation time, and a slower process, with Raysha you just get right to the point. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m a sucker for a good spa experience but when I only have 75 minutes before I have to be in line to pick up my kid from preschool, I need someone to move fast and to move efficiently. Raysha does just that and her massage was absolutely on point.
In fact, I’m going to take a hot second from completing this post to make sure I schedule my next appointment.
- Kayden Gray Hair: Mauricio Gutierrez is Fort Worth’s best hair guru. I used to pride myself on the fact that I only cut and colored my hair twice a year. No more, folks. I love my time with Mauricio so much and he has restored the health of my hair so much that I truly crave more time with him and now visit at least quarterly. He has a personality that not only allows you to leave feeling like a total queen but he is so honest about his skill. He’s going to tell you how to best care for your hair, will give you the closest he can get to what you want, and will even talk you ‘off the ledge’ of some pretty terrible hair choices. At least he has for me.
When I walk in for my time with Mauricio I leave my phone on his table (it’s the best break ever), I sip a coffee, and don’t even tell him what I want. He just knows my hair and takes care of the color, cut, texture, and blowout. Somehow it’s like he’s a mind reader and when my pregnant brain is moving inconsistently in about 106 different directions it’s really nice to have someone else take charge to help.
Dear Mauricio, I’m on my way. See you in three hours.
- YogaSix: Tucked away in Waterside, this gorgeous yoga studio offers the works. Wine Down Wednesdays, Mommy and Me Yoga, and six other core classes including a Slow Flow and Sculpt & Flow. Taking time to stretch, breathe, and focus has always been important throughout all three of my pregnancies and I can’t wait to pop on by with my ever growing belly to take some moments in the stillness of this practice! Whether you’re looking for strength, agility, flexibility, or balance, they have a class that will fill your needs!
With COVID, they have had much smaller classes in studio but also as the weather improves, be on the lookout for outside classes that will relax your mind, body, and soul. The evening class reservations fill fast but the day time offerings are perfect for mamas of youngin’s!
- Fit4Mom Fort Worth: Let’s be real. Motherhood is beautiful. Motherhood is also hard. REALLY hard and no one can fully prepare you for it.
Recovery. Feelings of weakness. Loneliness. Constant change. Leaking boobs.
My first round postpartum I was not mentally prepared for ANY of that. Then I found Fit4Mom (literally on Groupon at the time) and I found a group of moms who were all different but were all tackling the same challenges together. Their workouts, play dates, basic understanding (an instructor literally carried my screaming baby the last third of a class once so I could finish working out and breathe for a minute), and village of women have pulled me out of previous postpartum funks, kept me sane during second pregnancies, and made me feel like I could take I could tackle the world as a mom.
In a time when I felt like I had lost myself, Fit4Mom gave me the breath of fresh air I didn’t even know I needed and allowed me to see myself as an imperfect but very strong mom. For that, I am forever. Grateful.
So there you have it. That’s my magic hat of local pregnancy tricks. This combination has held me up, made me feel strong, and calmed me down amidst a third pregnancy during a pandemic, political unrest, frozen temperatures, and potential tornadoes.
Bring it on 2021. This is the year for my family to complete our pack and we’re doing it with the perfect village of local businesses to usupport us.